In acknowledgement of Autism awareness day I have decided to do a review of the Proloquo-2-go Alternative Communication device available as an application to download for tablets. Alternative communication devices provide a voice for many individuals that are unable to use verbal speech to get their message across. Proloquo2Go’s unique features make it an excellent Augmentative and Alternative Communication solution for children, teenagers and adults who need symbol support. Proloquo2Go has been used successfully with individuals who have diagnoses such as autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, developmental disabilities, apraxia, stroke, traumatic brain injury and others. The latest version of Proloquo-2-go has a number of key features that make it even more interactive and very user friendly.
Here are a few of the key reasons to try Proloquo-2-go:
- You can download free natural-sounding Text to Speech adult and children’s voices in a range of accents including 19 American, 9 British, and 4 Australian voices
- The app is easy to customise and allows you to create and edit buttons with 14,000 symbols or photos, change colour, font, and voice of multiple buttons at once. This allows user to customise the main and sub screens making the app more interactive and aesthetically pleasing for the user.
- The app prevent accidental selections with a hold duration function which allows you to choose to select a key once it is pressed or released.
- A number of communication levels including Basic Communication vocabulary for beginning communicators, Research-based Core Word vocabulary for language development as well the ability to expand vocabulary by adjusting the grid size and adding as many folders as you wish
- The addition of a number of grammatical forms for each word without crowding the grids by holding down the bottom for the base word e.g. if you hold down the word ‘eat’ the option ‘eating, ate, eaten’ will become will pop up beside it.
- You can back up and share vocabularies between multiple devices, copy the message window text into other apps to share them via email, message, twitter and facebook.
About Ashleigh Fattah
Ashleigh Fattah is a Speech Pathologist who sees both children and adults. She has experience from a Master of Speech and Language Pathology degree and a spectrum of clinical environments including private practice, inpatient and outpatient hospitals, school and community based practice.
Ashleigh is committed to providing evidence-based interventions for children and adults alike, tailoring therapy to each client’s individual needs. Her clinical experience enables her to provide comprehensive one-on-one, group and school program interventions. Ashleigh is trained in providing an array of up-to-date therapy techniques such as the PROMPT, Lidcombe, Camperdown, LSVT, Proloquo-to-go and Hanen Programs to help both children and adults achieve their goals.
For more information about speech therapy for children with autism or any speech related fields, contact us today.