There are plenty of electronic tablet applications available on the market to assist Speech Pathologists and parents with children who stutter. If you have never come across a fluency counter before, they are tools that help to count how frequently a person is stuttering.
Different applications take different measures of stuttering, however the most standardised measure used by Speech Pathologists is the Percentage of Syllables Stuttered which is often abbreviated to %SS. The Fluency Rater App is a great application for measuring stuttering severity, and also has a range of other useful features for home and clinical use.
Useful features available using Fluency Rater:
- Fluency Rater takes multiple measures including: Percent Syllables Stuttered (%SS), total time of the conversation, amount of syllables produced per minute, amount of syllables produced as well as amount of stutters in a separate measure to the percentage of syllables stuttered.
- The buttons for a non-stuttered syllable and stuttered syllable are clearly marked by red and green colours and the bottoms are large enough so errors caused by your finger slipping and hitting the wrong button do not occur.
- The application allows you to keep track of multiple patients for clinic use, or multiple children or family members for use at home.
- Fluency Rater allows you to save the daily scores and export the scores to share with your Speech Pathologist. For individuals using the app for home progress, this eliminates the need to write down scores each day, and assists with regular monitoring of progress ensuring that you progress through therapy faster as your therapist is better able to monitor and make changes to your fluency therapy program.
- The automatic pause function makes assessing fluency in conversation easier by pausing during breaks within conversation, giving a more accurate reading of syllables per minute and total conversation time.
Contact us for results focused speech therapy
This article was written by our Speech Pathologist Ashleigh Fattah who is a Speech Pathology Australia member. If you have speech pathology related questions, make an appointment. We‘ll provide you with simple and effective therapy targeted to your concerns. Contact us today.