Your diet is a matter of choice. Some people choose to consume less healthy, but more convenient food options, such as fast food. Although these options might seem to be quick and easy, they can contribute to poor health and wellbeing. Others choose to eat more fresh foods with greater overall health benefits. With so many fad diets and eating plans around, it is easy to become confused by conflicting and changing information.
The following is a list of foods and some of their health benefits, that are easy to incorporate into your usual diet:
- Fruit –Fruits are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants are important to help your body clear toxins and other potentially harmful substances.
- Nuts – Nuts contain high levels of vitamin E, iron, fibre and magnesium. With so many nutrients packed into a tiny snack, they are definitely worth adding to your diet.
- Vegetables – Vegetables are full of essential nutrients for optimal health and wellbeing. Some of the nutrients found in vegetables include calcium, potassium, folate, fibre, and phytonutrients. Studies have shown vegetables can reduce your risk of developing heart disease and cancer as well as diabetes. In addition to these nutrients, vegetables are also high in antioxidants.
- Oats – Oats are considered one of the best things you can have for breakfast. Studies have consistently shown that oats will lower your cholesterol. Additionally, it has other heart health benefits and can even stabilise your blood glucose levels to reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Avocados – Many people are scared of avocados because they are high in fat. However, the fat in the vegetable is actually very good for you. Avocados also include such nutrients as vitamin B, vitamin K, vitamin E, and fibre. There are studies showing that eating avocados can lower your risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, and certain types of mouth cancer.
- Berries –The phytonutrients, minerals, and vitamins in berries can assist in achieving good health. Studies have shown that eating berries will help keep your brain active and healthy.
If you want to live a healthy life, then you should ensure you are eating the right foods. The six foods discussed here can provide you with the nutrients your body needs. As you can see, there are a great variety of foods which have positive health benefits, so you definitely do not have to worry about getting bored with only one or two foods forming the majority of your dietary intake.
If you have questions about healthy eating or nutrition and weight loss, contact your local doctor, who will arrange for you to see a dietitian. We can provide you with a simple and effective routine targeted to your concerns. Contact us today!