A Diabetes Dietitian Recommends…
A diabetes dietitian can help you manage diabetes better! With an increasing number of individuals suffering from diabetes and those that have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, it is no wonder why many want to take measures to prevent it. Luckily, it is one of the few conditions in the world that can be avoided by making quality lifestyle choices that include exercise and diet, as designed by a diabetes dietitian.
On-going studies indicate that nearly 13% of the population suffers from Type II Diabetes, while almost 1/3 of the population have pre-diabetes symptoms, with the potential of developing the condition within a decade.
Manage diabetes with a the help of a dietitian!
There are specific steps that can be taken to manage diabetes that include:
- Optimising Healthy Weight – It is long been known that obesity is a major risk factor for individuals that are developing diabetes (Type II). For those that are overweight, eliminating just 5% to 10% of excess body weight can significantly reduce the risks of developing diabetes. To maintain healthy weight, a diabetes dietitian would recommend eating a low-fat, low-calorie diet and avoiding all rich carbohydrates. For more information see our article about BMI.
- Avoiding Sugary Drinks – Any diabetes dietitian will recommend avoiding sugary drinks including fruit juice and soda as a way to manage Type II Diabetes. Just drinking two sweet drinks every day can increase the risks of diabetes by more than 30%.
- Start Moving – Doctors recommend a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise every day to help reduce excess amounts of weight and minimise the risks associated with Type II Diabetes. Additionally, daily exercise provides other advantages including maintaining optimal insulin and blood sugar levels.
- Eat Fruit and Veggies – Individual suffering from diabetes, or diagnosed with pre-diabetes conditions, can improve their health and reduce the associated risks by almost 25% by eating fruits and vegetables.
- Minimise TV Time – Studies have indicated that the amount of time spent watching television each day has a direct correlation with the increased risk of diabetes. Typically, watching TV eliminates the chance to be physically active and increases the potential for acquiring diabetes through the consumption of unhealthy snacks. Doctors recommend taking a walk, dancing, or finding some activity, other than simply sitting and watching TV.
ENT Clinic have created holistic dietary guidelines, that with our dietitians consultation, can be used to create a customised dietary plan. This will ensure that you will enjoy eating a healthy balanced diet that meets your body’s needs!
By following the dietary guidelines from a diabetes dietitian and formulating an exercise plan, any individual can manage their existing Type II Diabetes condition, or avoid the risks of acquiring pre-diabetes symptoms. With better daily habits anyone can quickly stabilise the condition, or reverse the effects that Type II Diabetes produces.
We will ensure that your dietary requirements are met, and create a meal plan that will be manageable and enjoyable for all the family, especially for those with diabetes. Remember healthy habits can start today!
Diabetes Australia recommends that everyone with diabetes visit a dietitian for personal advice. For more personalised information about healthy eating choices arrange to see one of our dietitians.
Contact us today for meal plans designed by our real dietitians