Childhood obesity: about the interview
On July 26th I was contacted by Sarah Chlala, a 2SER 107.3 radio reporter. Ms Chlala was interested in receiving some dietetic input for her most recent story and was wondering if I would be interested in being interviewed.
The interview was to be on childhood obesity – I was thrilled that someone was doing a story on such an important subject and was therefore more than happy to be interviewed.
The story was aired on Tuesday the 30th of July for 2SER 107.3 Real Radio. This was part of their Panacea segment which, as their website states, provides ‘In-depth coverage of health and lifestyle matters with segments ranging from health policies to alternative therapies and wellbeing advice’. The interview was conducted by Ms Sarah Chlala and runs for slightly over 10 minutes.
The story is to be added to the 2SER 107.3 website as a podcast but in the mean time, a link to the official podcast can be accessed below:
Dietitian Belinda Elwin interview about childhood obesity
Childhood obesity: Background information
- In Australia between 1985 and 1995, the rate of children considered overweight doubled and those considered obese tripled .
- One in 4 children between the ages of 5 – 17 are now considered overweight or obese, according to data from the 2007-2008 Australian National Children’s Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey . The 2010 results showed that 22.8% of the children in this age bracket were overweight or obese .
The graph below illustrates the rise in prevalence of overweight and obesity between 1985 and 2010 in NSW . Graph sourced from the NSW Government 
Contact us for results focused nutritional advice
This article was written by our nutritionist Belinda Elwin who is a Dietitians Association of Australia member and Accredited Practising Dietitian.
If you have questions about healthy eating choices or for a personalised meal plan, contact your local doctor who will arrange for you to see Belinda. For healthy eating advice, Contact us today!
If you are interested in learning more, the links below provide additional information on childhood obesity.
- DAA: Childhood Obesity | Dietitians Association of Australia
- A very interesting government fact sheet providing statistics on childhood overweight/ obesity and additional information. Childhood Overweight and Obesity | NSW Health – NSW Government
- NSW Health: About Childhood Obesity | NSW Health – NSW Government
This link will take you to the 2SER website if you are interested in more information about the station or additional stories.
- Dietitians Association of Australia. Childhood Obesity. Dietitians Association of Australia. Available here
- Population Health Division. Childhood Overweight and Obesity. NSW Government Population health.