There are a number of speech pathology apps that target the different areas of language and sometimes too much choice can make it difficult to decide which is best. I have recently come across an excellent set of applications called the Hearbuilder series by Super Duper Publications which targets a number of language areas including:
- Phonological Awareness – This app targets phonological awareness, this is the awareness that sounds can be segmented into different groups. The app targets a number of different phonological awareness levels including sentence segmentation, syllable segmentation, syllable blending, rhyme awareness, sound blending, sound deletion, sound addition, sound manipulation, sound segmentation and identification.
- Following Directions – This app is targeted at improving the ability to follow different types of instructions containing an array of complex and basic directions, temporal directions, sequential directions, and conditional, quantitative and spatial directions.
- Auditory Memory – This app is targeted at improving a child’s ability to remember a series of verbally presented numbers, words, details and ‘wh’ information (e.g. who, where, when) by providing a number of auditory memory strategies.
- Sequencing – This app is targeted at improving a child’s ability to sequence a range of steps in the form of instructions and events on different story scenarios.
Some of the reasons why this application series is useful:
- Each application corresponds with the Subtests of the CELF-4 so choosing the right task is simple and straightforward.
- Each activity has a choice of easy, medium, hard levels so level of difficulty can be chosen as appropriate for each individual, and individuals can progress through at their own speed.
- Correct answers need to be selected before moving on in the task allowing for solo play.
- Each task is incorporated into a game making the activities fun and interactive.
- All of the applications contain engaging animations and interactive characters.
- The applications allow data to be recorded so you can monitor each individual’s progress.
- The applications are available to trial at no cost on IOS devices.
The Super Duper apps are available to download at the apple store for iOS devices. For more information visit the Hearbuilder Website
For more information on this topic or any speech related fields, contact the ENT Clinic on 1300 123 368 and make an appointment with our speech pathologists Ashleigh Fattah.