Problem With Sagging Jowls
It is a side effect of getting older. Our skin will sag but how can we avoid looking like a bulldog? We will give you some helpful hints and tips as we go through this article.
As we get older our face loses its volume. As the foundation that supports the skin becomes diminished the skin starts to lose its firmness and begins to sag. As a result of the ageing process, collagen and hyaluronan levels deplete, resulting in loss of skin firmness. Unfortunately, we lose firmness in many areas of the face and neck such as the cheeks, the eye brows, under the eyes, the jowls and the lips. So how can we firm up our sagging skin?
- Keep yourself well hydrated, drink between 8 and 10 glasses of water a day. Keeping yourself hydrated ensures you maintain your skin tissues elasticity and firmness. This will help tighten the skin on your face and neck.
- Daily moisturising is vitally important in the tightening of loose skin. A moisturiser that is rich in vitamin E for example almond oil will assist to sooth and moisturise the skin enabling skin tightening. Other oils that are also good for skin tightening include Avocado oil, grape seed oil, Jojoba oil and olive oil. These can be used to assist with firming and tightening the skin around the eyes and mouth. Using one of these oils on a regular basis can help in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Your diet is very important for the overall appearance of the skin, reducing fine lines, wrinkles and tightness. Eat a well balanced diet containing a wide variety of fruit and vegetables. Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants such as beta carotene. B vitamins, Vitamin K, E, A and C are important to improve skin health. Your diet should also include essential fatty acids for example omega-3 as it assists the skin to preserve moisture in turn improving its texture and appearance. Take a good multivitamin.
- Get rid of your awful smoking habit. Although this topic needs more research and is still controversial, a growing number of studies confirm that smoking ages the skin by realising an enzyme that breaks down elastin and collagen, vital components needed to keep the skin looking young and stopping it from sagging.
- Avoiding excess sun exposure is a big thing. Wear sun factor, ensure you choose a good brand that protects from both UVA and UVB rays. Wearing sun factor daily and reapplying it regularly protects you from the harmful effects of UV rays.
I know it’s extremely hard to do and you would rather be lying on the couch but get out and exercise, not only will this help you to feel better but it has been shown that tightening of muscles due to exercise can tighten your skin. When you exercise your circulation increases and this helps improve your skins elasticity.
Natural face masks are a helpful component in beating jowls forming. It can assist in anti-aging, skin tightening. It can also assist in reducing the appearance of unsightly pores, tightens loose skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and gives your face a natural lift.
For more information about combatting sagging skin and choosing the right skincare product to help your face and skin look and feel its best, contact Amanda O’Rourke at ENT Wellbeing Skincare, Sydney on 1300 123 368.