Healthy Kids Diet Guidelines To Keep Your Children Fit and Active
Paediatric nutritionists and physicians agree that healthy decisions with eating begin at home. The best way to get children to eat healthier is to involve them in the planning stages, food gathering and preparing, as well as cooking of the meal. A specific healthy kids diet plan aimed at making significant health changes in the eating habits of the family involves meals where food portion sizes are age-appropriate and made from healthy ingredients.
While it might seem impossible to tell the children exactly how to change their dietary habits, the earlier a parent does it, the easier and healthier it will be for his or her child. Paediatric nutritionists use healthy kids nutrition guidelines to formulate a plan of developing better eating habits. They include:
- Working Together – By purchasing ingredients, preparing food and cooking together, children and parents support each other to create better eating habits.
- Setting an Example – Parents need to recognise they are the first teacher in his or her child’s life. If mum and dad have great habits in exercising and eating, they will serve as good role models for their children.
- Avoiding Certain Beverages – Children need to understand that certain beverages will be banned from their healthy lifestyle including 100% fruit juices, soft drinks and milks that contain sugary flavours.
- Incorporate Substitutions – Families can still enjoy their favourite meals together, but with substitutions. Substituting traditional foods for low-fat ingredients including skim milk, skim cheese and lean meats can lead to a healthier lifestyle for the entire family.
- Eating in Moderation – Eating healthy is not about denial, but about consuming in moderation. All meals should be served in age-appropriate portion sizes.
- Make Foods Unavailable – An empty cookie jar makes for healthy families. Making certain foods unavailable, while offering instant access to fruit and veggies, is the best way to diminish the child’s immediate need for nourishment, through healthier food choices.
- Take a Walk – Part of healthy kids’ nutrition lifestyles includes exercising every day. Learning to incorporate exercise in the family’s lifestyle makes for a more active and exciting life. Parking farther away in the parking lot at the store, and climbing the stairs instead of reducing activity by using the elevator, can keep the family active throughout the day. Consider taking walks together after dinner.
Responsible parents listen to paediatric nutritionists that build their dietary plans on healthy kids’ nutrition guidelines. The recommendations by paediatric dietitians suggest offering the right age appropriate portion of delicious, healthy foods; so that families can change the way they eat at home and at restaurants.
Improve your children’s diet with the help of a real dietitian
There are many more strategies a dietitian can offer for improving your diet. Our dietitians have created comprehensive diet and nutrition resources, that together with a consultation, can be used to create a customised dietary plan. We will ensure that your dietary requirements are met, and create a meal plan that will be manageable and enjoyable for all the family. Remember healthy habits can start today! For more information on how to make healthy eating choices, make an appointment to see one of our dietitians.