Some dietetic consultations provided by accredited practising dietitians are covered under Medicare. Many private health funds also offer rebates for these services. This article provides general information about the ways your consultation with a dietitian can be funded.
MBS Primary Care Items
- Medicare rebates for certain allied health services including management by an accredited practising dietitian are available for patients with chronic conditions and complex care needs on referral from their GP.
- This program was previously known as the Enhanced Primary Care or EPC program.
- See the Department of Health and Ageing website for detailed information including: eligibility criteria for allied health professionals, the MBS item descriptors, the MBS explanatory notes, fact-sheets and referral forms.
- Medicare rebates are payable for group services provided by eligible accredited practising dietitians for people with type 2 diabetes, on referral from a GP.
Allied Health Items for People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Descent
- Allied health items are available to allow people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent who have had a health assessment to receive a Medicare benefit for follow up allied health services including management by an accredited practising dietitian.
- To access these items patients must be referred to an eligible allied health provider by their GP.
- Further information is available from the Medicare Australia provider inquiry line on 132 150 or on the Medicare website.
- Most private health funds provide rebates for visits to private practising APDs.
- APD is the only national credential recognised by the Australian Government, Medicare, the Department of Veterans Affairs and most private health funds as the quality standard for nutrition and dietetics services in Australia.
- If you have any questions about funding for a consultation with a dietitian please give us a call.
- Our reception staff will be able to provide you with information about the cost of a consultation and the specific rebates available for your appointment with one of our accredited practising dietitians.